Built without compromise, the legendary YZF-R1 is Yamaha's ultimate supersport motorcycle.
Since this game-changing model was launched, one of the most significant developments in its history has been the introduction of Yamaha's revolutionary crossplane engine in 2009. Producing strong, linear torque, Yamaha's crossplane technology transformed the supersport riding experience with its high level of useable power, and marked the beginning of a new era in which Yamaha has focused on achieving enhanced rideability and control.
A huge leap forward came in 2015 with the introduction of a whole new generation of electronic control technology which enabled every rider to push their YZF-R1 closer to the limit. Although it shared the same name as its predecessors, the 2015 model was in effect an all-new motorcycle that marked the YZF-R1's transition from the analogue to the digital world, and in 2018 the introduction of even more electronic advanced rider aids underlined this flagship model's technological sophistication.
For 2020 the YZF-R1 features a radical new race-bred look together with a highly refined engine and uprated chassis that confirm its position as the ultimate Yamaha supersport. With its radical new MotoGP styling and now equipped with a total of seven electronic rider controls, the 2020 YZF-R1 is more than ready for the third decade of the 21st century.
YZF-R1 New Features
• Aggressive new M1-style cowling
• Fully integrated bodywork for improved rider/machine unity
• Aerodynamic efficiency increased by over 5%
• Reinforced feeling of quality and M1 DNA
• Uprated suspension for refined surface feedback
• New 2-mode Brake Control (BC) cornering ABS
• New 3-mode Engine Brake Management (EBM)
• Optimised Launch Control System (LCS)
• New APSG ride-by-wire throttle
• Enhanced combustion efficiency and high rpm performance
• Increased braking performance
• New settings for steering damper
• Latest Bridgestone Battlax RS11 tyres
• Uprated TFT instruments with BC and EBM indicators
• EU5 compliant engine
YZF-R1 Key Features
• 998cc 200PS crossplane 4-cylinder engine
• Linear torque delivery
• Highly advanced electronic control systems
• 6-axis IMU with Gyro/G sensors for 3D motion data
• Power Delivery Modes (PWR)
• Banking sensitive Traction Control (TCS) / Slide Control (SCS)
• Front Lift Control (LIF) and Launch Control System (LCS)
• Quick Shift System (QSS)
• Short wheelbase aluminium Deltabox frame
• Upward truss type swingarm / magnesium rear frame
• Magnesium wheels and 17 litre aluminium fuel tank
• Power mode selection system (PWR) adjustable riding modes
• Thin Film Transistor (TFT) LCD instruments
The 2020 Yamaha YZF-R1 will be available from September 2019.
PRE ORDER YOURS ON 23RD JULY 2019 AT WIGAN YAMAHA CENTRE...